|  Contact  

Agent Login Press
Aggressor Adventure Travel
Rock Islands Aggressor :


Log Date: Sunday, Jul 10, 2016
Entry By: Rock Islands Aggressor Crew


Sunday afternoon we welcomed on board 7 guests from all over the world. Nationalities included USA, French, Australian, Singaporean, Malaysian, and England. After a quick introduction to their cabins everyone set up their dive gear, and headed upstairs for dinner. After dinner we covered the vessel orientation and soon the guest were off to bed. A little later we picked up another guest from the airport and got him settles in on board the boat.


Early Monday morning we picked up two more guests from the airport. At 6am we pulled the big boat off the pier and tied up in Malakal Harbor. After the general dive briefing our first dive of the charter was at the wreck of the Helmet aka Depth Charge Wreck. This is a Japanese WWII sub chaser that sank in the harbor. We entered the water and did our weight checks and descended down the mooring line. We entered the first cargo hold and saw the helmets and depth charges, found a crocodile fish in the wheel house area and went all the way down to the bow. Back at the stern of the wreck we spent some time viewing the artifacts that have been collected and placed for viewing. Our second dive was at the Iro, where we saw the colony of tomato anemone fish amongst two giant clams at 35 feet on the stern king post. This wreck also has two large guns, both bow and stern and a variety of small critters such as nudibranchs, crabs, shrimp and a variety of juvenile fish. During lunch the big boat moved all the way out to German Channel and our third dive was at Turtle cove. We started the dive by descending down the hole on top the reef and found a disco clam in a small crack. Square spot anthias feeding in the water column, and a couple of friendly turtles resting in the walls crevices. Our fourth dive was at Big Drop Off. We entered the water and went wall on the left. We saw several nudibranchs, and some beautiful soft corals and sea fans. We saw the ball and chain left over from the Germans prior to WWI. And were able to take some nice photos of an eel out free swimming along the wall.


Tuesday morning we started with the world famous Blue Corner. It was an incoming current and we started with the wall on our right, before the hook in area we could see the huge school of jacks and snapper in front of the hook in area, we came up and hooked in behind them. With the jacks there were several grey reefs sharks cruising back and forth in front of us and the baby eagle ray also made an appearance. We later unhooked and explored the plateau for a short while as the current pushed us across. Dive two we headed out to German Channel. We started the dive from the Peleliu side of the channel and stopped at the cleaning station and waited for anything to get cleaned, no mantas. We then swam across the mouth of the channel to the other cleaning station, still no mantas, but we did see a bunch of sharks. We ended the dive by drifting into the channel. After lunch dive three was at Blue Holes. We tied up the skiff at one of the moorings close to the holes, descended down the holes into the cavern. The chamber was filled with beautiful ambient light from above. We saw the disco clams then exited and headed down towards Blue Corner, but before we got there the current changed so we turned around. Dive four was at Ngedebus Coral Garden; we started from the mooring and went across the coral garden spotting a scorpion fish, and a couple of turtles. After dinner our first night dive was at Turtle Cove. We had a strong current that pushed us down to the corner pretty quick so we didn’t have much time to look for the small stuff.


On Wednesday we fired up the engines bright and early and headed down to Peleliu. We secured the big boat in Camp Beck or aka South Dock and our first dive of the day was at Peleliu Corner. The current was incoming and it was strong. We did the “Express” side of the corner. We drifted swiftly along the wall decided not to hook in due to the strong current. We did see a lot of sharks as we shot along the wall and a whip tail ray swam under all the divers; we soon left the wall and shot across the plateau and soon started our ascent and ended our dive. The average dive time was around 27 minutes that was a quick one. For dive two we went to West Wall. The current looked to be outgoing; we started the dive from the mooring and drifted along but the current had different plans, it switched a couple of times and was strong in some places. After lunch the third dive was at Orange Beach Coral Garden, a beautiful sloping coral garden with tons of fish we saw some artifacts; bombs and bullets, a 1940’s era coke bottle. Soon the current switched so we turned around. Our fourth dive was at Barracks Point. The current was outgoing and it pushed us along the wall and into the coral garden. We saw all the giant clams and a lot of turtles. Everyone enjoyed the coral garden and soon came up to the shallows to end the dive. During dinner the big boat moved all the way back up to the German Channel area and the night dive was at Big Drop Off. We spotted a couple of white tip sharks out cursing along the wall, nudibranchs, and a lot of crabs. Also we found a twin spot lion fish and a leaf scorpion fish.


Thursday morning we started our day with a repeat dive at Blue Corner. The current was a light incoming when we started the dive but that soon switched. The current was very light the whole dive so we didn’t hook in, we spent the whole dive exploring the top of the plateau. We again say the baby eagle ray, a couple of turtles, leaf scorpion fish, the schools of jacks and eels. Several grey reef sharks were around the tip of the corner. For dive two we went back again to German Channel. This time we started from the Koror side of the channel, stopped at the red anemone for photos and headed on to the first cleaning station but still no mantas. We crossed the mouth of the channel to the Peleliu side of the channel, sat down and waited but no mantas. We just didn’t have any luck with the mantas this week. Our third dive was at New Drop Off. It was an outgoing current and we hooked in around the cut in the reef, there wasn’t much action at the hook in area but the current was moving so we had to stay for a while. Once we unhooked we hid down in some cuts on top the plateau and had a great encounter with a green sea turtle. It just stayed and let the photographers get really close. Before we surfaced we found a nice nudibranch and an octopus. Dive four was at Barnums Wall; we started the dive along the wall and soon entered the slopping coral garden. We spotted a couple of turtles and some beautiful anemones. After dinner we headed out for the night dive at German Coral Garden. We started from the Peleliu side of German channel and had a nice drift into the channel. We found a lot of macro life in the coral garden and saw a couple of white tip sharks and some crabs and shrimp.


To start the day on Friday we went to Siaes Tunnel. We descended down along the wall to the entrance of the large tunnel. Inside we found the helfrichs dart fish, black & white butterfly fish and the blue backed pygmy angel fish. We didn’t stay too long in the tunnel because the temperature inside the tunnel had to of dropped at least 7 or 8 degrees. We came out and slowly made our multi level up seeing a couple of sharks in the blue water. Our second dive was at Siaes Corner but on the way out there we noticed the current had already switched to incoming so we decided to dive at Ulong Channel. Ulong Channel. The current was light to start off the dive but after we hooked in for a while it picked up. We had a bunch of sharks in front of the group while hooked in and after 40 minutes we unhooked and shot down the channel seeing the lettuce coral, and ended the dive at the giant clams. After a nice lunch we again went to Ulong Channel. This time the current was light we started the dive from the same mooring and at the hook in area there was no need to hook in. We waited at the mouth but there were no sharks so we just decided to kick down the channel. This time with the light current we could explore the channel. All the big eye fish were out above the lettuce coral this time and made so great photos. We again ended the dive at the giant clams, but we were also lucky to find the blue girdled angelfish. Dive four was Sandy Paradise, a sloping hard coral garden that once we got down to where the coral garden bottoms out in the sand we spotted a large marbled ray. We then continued along the bottom seeing a beautiful anemone and some leaf scorpion fish. Back at the big boat our chef Ronnie treated us to a final supper of a thanksgiving feast as the big boat headed back into Malakal Harbor.


Saturday morning our first dive was at the Jake Sea Plane. We tied the skiff up to the mooring and descended down to the plane. It sits in only 40 feet of water and make for some really nice photos because it’s not covered with coral growth. Also in the coral garden we spotted a cuttle fish. For our last dive of the charter we headed out to Chandelier Cave. All the divers surfaced in the four air chambers saw the stalactites and crystal formations. Then on the outside of the cave we saw the mandarin fish. After an afternoon of drying gear, packing, time for beauty and relaxation at the spa, we gathered in the salon at 6pm for the cocktail party while our photo pro showed a slideshow of all the images he took during the charter and all the guests received a CD of all those images to take home with them. After the cocktail party the guests went off to dinner at one of the local restaurants. At 10pm one of our guests left to the airport to catch a flight to his next destination.


Very early Sunday morning 2 more guests left to the airport to catch their flight. After continental breakfast we said goodbyes to the remaining guests as they headed off to their hotels for another couple days in Palau. We would like to thank everyone for joining us this week on board the Rock Islands Aggressor. Hope to see you all again, until then safe diving…


-Rock Islands Aggressor Crew