|  Contact  

Agent Login Press
Aggressor Adventure Travel
Palau Aggressor II :


Log Date: Sunday, Jan 15, 2017
Entry By: Palau Aggressor Crew


Palau Aggressor Charter January 15-22 2017

Water Temp: 80-85 deg F

Air Temp: 85-90 deg F

Crew: Dan, Shea, Ripon, Hector, Joe, Herence, Ernan

On Sunday afternoon we welcomed onboard our new dive buddies from The USA, Germany and China. Once they were checked in, and helped to set up their gear, the guests were given a safety briefing from the Captain followed by a delicious dinner, prepared and served by Shea and Herence. Afterwards it was then time to get a good night’s sleep. You need to be well rested before beginning a wonderful week of diving in Palau.

Our first dive on Monday morning, after we departed the dock was on the Helmet wreck, one of the casualties of WWII. Unlike many wrecks in Palau, which were salvaged after the war, the Helmet wreck wasn’t discovered until the eighties. As a result the divers can find many artifacts like sake bottles, weapons, cooking pots and gas masks on the wreck. . Dive two was at yet another famous wreck in Palau the much larger Iro, a fleet oil tanker, meeting its fate in the outer lagoon after heavy fire from both US submarine and airstrike attacks. Upon this massive five hundred foot tanker divers found can find octopus and on top of the massive king posts tower a large colony of tomato anemones and clown fish. During lunch the Palau Aggressor II moved down to Ulong Island, recently famous for being the host of Survivor Palau. After lunch we went to Sandy Paradise and found some Leaf Scorpion fish and some Mantis Shrimp. Dive four was at Ulong Channel. We hooked in at the mouth of the channel, and hung out and watched the Sharks, Barracuda, Jacks and more. After we unhooked we drifted gently down the channel and spotted some interesting macro life like a beautiful tiny Flabelina Nudibranch.

Our first dive on Tuesday morning was at Ulong Coral Garden we hooked in for an amazing shark show and a curious turtle that hung out with us at the hook in. Dive two was at Siaes Tunnel where we found the rare helfrichs and decorated dart fish. During Lunch we moved the big boat to German Channel. Our first dive here was at New Drop Off, after watching the shark show at the hook in site, we explored the Plateau and found several Turtles, which are so used to divers they usually stay put and pose for photos. In the afternoon we went to Barnums wall, a beautiful slopping coral garden with turtles, schools of fusiliers, and a Leopard shark!

Our first dive on Wednesday was on the World famous Blue Corner. Sharks, Barracuda, Jacks, Napoleon Wrasse eagle rays, and so much more, easy to understand why this dive site has the reputation it does as it never disappoints! With plenty of Sharks hanging in the blue water it made for an exhilarating start to the day. The third dive after lunch was at Virgin Blue Hole, more of a tunnel than a cavern, exiting on the wall, we made our way through canyon like cuts in the reef and found a crocodile fish.

Our first dive on Thursday was at Turtle cove and allowed us to drop into the chimney on the reef, which exits on the wall at about 90 feet. Afterwards we explored the most amazing reef top, which is like swimming in a huge aquarium. During breakfast we motored down to Peleliu in the gentle swell and spent the rest of the day diving the beautiful reefs in the southern part of Palau.

Our last full day of diving saw us heading back to a few of the favorites form the week…Blue Corner is often ranked among the best dive sites in the World and so a second visit here is usually very popular. A second look at German Channel for Mantas was not successful, but the channel is spectacular at any rate. After lunch we went to Blue Holes, which starts by descending through one of four large holes on the reef top, and opening into a large voluminous cavern below. Exploring the cavern reveals some funky creatures like the disco clam, Turtle and Sharks were seen as we drifted along the wall.

Kicking Saturday with a dive on the Jake Sea Plane was a good way to wake up on Saturday morning, then after a quick break we loaded the skiff back up and the guests were shuttled over to Chandelier Caves. A small cave with three air pockets inside allows the guest to dive down into the dark but then surface every few minutes to take photos of the beautiful stalactites that hang from the ceiling. After exiting the cave we had a bit of time to explore the area just underneath the skiff. Mandarin Fish swim around in the coral rubble and the Scorpion Devil Fish slowly trudges along the bottom. Not a bad way to end a week of diving and relaxing aboard the Palau Aggressor II. The guests were quite famished after the morning excursion and were presented with a delicious lunch to fuel back up before heading to town for a few hours of exploring. Just after six o’clock the guests turned up in the salon and sat down for a drink with the crew. We all exchanged stories from the week and enjoyed a slideshow put together by the photo pro. After about an hour the guests were on their way to town for an evening of dinner and dancing off the boat.

Sunday morning at eight o’clock. Some of the guests will be returning home while others will continue their travels throughout the Pacific. Either way we wish everyone a safe trip and we cannot wait until you return to dive with us again. Thanks for the great week!!